Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What Can a Door Knocker Preach About Being a Mother?

I was working studiously on my impending uni assignment when I heard a rather tentative knock at the front door.  Always living in hope that it would be a huge bunch of flowers or box of hand made chocolates being delivered from an adoring fan, I bolted downstairs to find two small women, clutching bags and bowing repeatedly at me through the glass.

I opened the doors and said hello.  They bowed a few more times and explained that they were from South Korea and wanted to preach to me (their word) about being a mother.

I have to be honest, I was rather floored.

Every now and then I open the door to various religious groups wanting to preach about the word of God, or the Son or the gift of life or how I should become a Jedi for the next census.  I am terribly polite but do not let them stay to talk.  I respect other people's views and their right to have them, and I wish people would do the same for me.  If it's ridiculously hot I will offer you a cold drink but it doesn't mean I want to convert.

So I was kind of curious about what two very young women, with no children in tow wanted to tell me about being a mother.  They may have been mothers themselves but I don't know.  They wanted three minutes of my time, but then started pulling out videos from their bags.

I explained that I was already a mother of two, with another coming and I was very happy with my lot in life, but alas I had one day a week to study and this was it, so thankyou but no.  I bowed politely and gently closed the door.

I admit I will remain interested what the young ladies could have told me through their preachings, and the irony is not lost on me that I have already spent more than three minutes typing this post.  The same three minutes I told them I did not have.

But the only people I learn about being a mother from is my children.  They are my teachers and my mentors.  They constantly reward me and keep me on my toes.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, very interesting! And what do they say if you open the door and you are man? I did once have a South Korean student (male, and a father) who had been sent to Australia for three years by his church as a missionary (whole family, all expenses paid) - I never really got to the bottom of why. Perhaps the Christian movement in South Korea thinks we're doing a bad job as parents? It's a pity you couldn't have cloned yourself and sent one of you back to study and left the other one at the door listening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I am intrigued! wonder what the video was and what pearls of wisdom they may have had for you... hoping they knock on my door now! lol :) not really I don't like having to tell door knockers that I'm not interested - cold callers annoy me more though... If I wanted/needed whatever it was they were selling I would seek out the info myself! Plus can you really trust people at the door or on the phone anymore??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...