Friday, November 20, 2015

What Would You Have Said?


Sitting at the traffic lights this morning, we sat across from the University where three flags were fluttering in the wind. Usually it is the West Australian flag, the Australian flag and the Indigenous flag, but today the third flag had been replaced with the Rainbow flag.

‘What’s that flag?’ the Mop wanted to know. She always has good questions.

‘That’s the Rainbow flag,’ I told her.

‘And what does it mean?’ she asked.

Awesome question I thought, wondering how I was going to answer in a timely fashion appropriate to my audience of a three year old, five year old and eight year old.

‘It means that the things that are different about us, are the things that make us beautiful,’ I said.

‘It’s about treating everyone the same, regardless of whether you are a boy or a girl, what colour your skin is, who you love, what religion you are or what you believe in.’ 

There was a brief pause in the back seat.

‘Soooo,’ the Mop started, obviously trying to get a handle on it all. ‘It’s for people with pink skin who love cats and for people with brown skin who love dogs?’

‘Sort of,’ I said. ‘The Rainbow flag reminds us the people who love dogs are just as awesome as the people who love cats.’

‘I love bunnies,’ said the three year old.

‘Me too,’ piped up the eight year old.

‘Well, you’re awesome too,’ I said.

‘I like all the animals,’ said the Mop.

‘Animals are sooooo beautiful,’ sighed the eight year old.

‘And the Rainbow flag tells us it’s okay to love animals?’ asked the Mop.

‘And marry animals?’ asked the three year old.

Uhhhhhh. I felt the conversation was getting a little off course.

‘Well,’ I said as the lights changed and we headed off. ‘The Rainbow flag simply tells us that we are all different and that makes us special. After all, a rainbow wouldn’t be as pretty if it was all the same colour.’

‘I’m going to marry a rainbow,’ said the three year old.

‘That’s fine by me, as long as it loves you as much as I do.’
Vive la difference!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. You handled that beautifully. I'll need to remember your words when my daughter asks about the rainbow flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin.
      I remember a friend used to keep a book with all the fabulous questions her son asked. If she couldn't answer it, they would 'save it for later' and 'we'll ask Granddad' which was a great way of delaying it until a later time (or until they forgot).
      It was also a wonderful record of the way little kids minds work.
      cheers

      Delete
  2. Bravo! Vive tous les diffĂ©rences, because it doesn't matter—when we get down to it, we are all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is our differences which make us special! Thanks Louise.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...